At Summit Classical Christian school we take Veterans Day seriously. The freedom that we enjoy in the United States is a privilege that is not without its costs, and the men, women and their families who serve in our armed forces have often been those who pay the highest price; sometimes the ultimate price. There will be a special Veterans Day Chapel at Summit at 11:30AM on November 7, and I am proud to introduce our speaker, Ben Herther, Major in the United States Marine Corps. Ben and Brooke are the parents of Abram Herther who is enrolled at Summit in the First Grade.
After enlisting in the Marines in 2001 Ben attended Officer Candidate School in Quantico, VA. He was trained as a Ground Combat Officer specializing in field artillery. It was from his duty station at K Bay in Hawaii that Ben was deployed to Iraq; first to Fallujah in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (2004-2005), and then to Ar Rutbah, Iraq for both Combat and Humanitarian Operations (2008). Major Herther currently holds the position of Battalion Operations Officer, in charge of coordinating the operational movements and planning of approx. 2000 Marines. In the course of his career in the Marines Major Herther has earned two Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, one Navy Commendation Medal, and a Combat Action Ribbon. Ben has been in the Marines for 12 years.
Major Ben Herther loves the Lord, he loves his country, and he loves the opportunity to speak to young people about both. In his own words, “I am honored to talk to the students about our awesome country, our resilient military, and our amazing God!” If you can take the time I encourage and welcome parents and friends to join us for Veterans Day Chapel.
God bless you all,
Dr. Timothy Orton
Summit Classical Christian School
Summit Bulletin Board
- There will be a sign-up sheet available in the office for your teacher conferences on November 4. The conferences themselves will be conducted on November 8.
- Notice to all families: Summit Treasurer, Chad Corneil, has now loaded the field trip charges in FACTS and families can now pay their fees through the FACTS payment management system through December.
- If you are one, or if you know of qualified, certified teachers who might be interested in a faculty position at Summit (full-time Fourth Grade or Substitute, Seventh Grade next year), please refer to either Dr. Orton (email@example.com) or Michelle Olson (firstname.lastname@example.org).￼￼
- Karen Schmit is in charge of our Box Tops for Education program. Please contact her for information on how to participate.
- Please pray for: 1. God’s hand of protection over our school; 2. God’s wisdom for those who are leading and teaching; 3. God’s provision for the needs of our school (esp. a well-qualified Fourth Grade teacher).
- If you are interested in helping with the Summit Christmas Program please contact the Summit office, email@example.com.
- Summit is still in need of Recess and PE volunteers.
- Summit has a position open for Bookkeeper. If you know of a qualified candidate please contact Michelle Olson at firstname.lastname@example.org.