As the old carol goes, “Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat…” While I don’t know about the geese, it is certainly true that Christmas is coming and at Summit we would like to celebrate the season for all that it is worth. Claire (and Shon) Katzenberger have graciously taken it upon themselves to orchestrate the Summit Christmas Program this year. This traditional pageant will draw heavily on the nativity accounts found in the Gospels of the New Testament, and will seek to recapture the dignified elegance of the season often lost in many of our cultural celebrations of the Season (captured beautifully in Burne-Jones’ tapestry above). The program will retell the powerful narrative of Christ’s birth and include a children’s chorale along with lots of opportunity for corporate worship.
- Pianist: We are looking for a pianist who can perform traditional Carols with a Children’s Choir. This person must be available to rehearse as well as play in the performance. It is critical that this person be able to transition between songs to maintain the pace of the program.
- Facilities: We are looking for a volunteer to oversee the procurement, set-up and take-down by other volunteers of the following:
- Smaller chairs; we need at least 200 chairs in the sanctuary… (we could place benches in the front for kids).
- Choir Risers for a Kids Choir (30 kids minimum).
- Moving equipment and Piano off and on the platform.
- Manage sound system (microphones, speakers, etc.)
- Set Designer/Builder/ Costuming: We need a very simple backdrop that does not take much space on stage. The team will work with Ursula Rosien. We also need a manger, a Star, etc., all the while keeping in mind that space is an issue. We are looking for creative folks who can provide costume suggestions (parents will be responsible for costuming their child).
- Acting/Speaking coach: We are looking for a coach to help individual students with simple speaking parts and narration.
- Singing Coaches: We need a team of people who love to sing. We will be teaching kids traditional carols. Coaches will work with Claire Katzenberger and our pianist.
Christmas is a wonderful time to tell the great story of the Gospel of Jesus—and it all began with the incarnation; that Jesus took upon Himself the body of a man, born as a Baby in Bethlehem. What a moment to celebrate! If you can join the team to help make this a memorable Christmas at Summit please contact the school office at 425-222-0564 or email@example.com.